Successful people often choose to demonstrate their success through structures and the development of the small private estate of Westfield, on the northern edge of Kibworth Harcourt, is one such demonstration.
In 1895 Mr and Mrs Edward Teasdale bought two fields, measuring just over four acres, in what had been the old West Field of Kibworth Harcourt before Enclosure in 1779. Edward Teasdale was a successful hosiery manufacturer and a partner in the firm of Wooding and Teasdale, which owned two factories, one in Churchgate in Leicester and a second factory in Fleckney.
In the early 1990s Michael Smith decided to move, but at this time there was no interest in buying the whole estate and it was split up: the entrance lodge was made a separate property and the former coach house was converted into a family home with its own garden. The former private estate was now three separate properties.
The original Westfield Estate comprised two fields, but only one of the fields was developed. The second field remains as grazing land, exactly as it had been since Enclosure in 1779. This field is a remarkable example of over 200 years of historical continuity.